Why You Shouldn’t Close Vents
It's the middle of summer and you're trying to save money on your air conditioning bill. You've been told that closing air vents will help - but is that really true?
In this blog, we'll discuss why closing air vents doesn't actually save money on cooling costs. We'll also talk about how airflow works and how you can ensure your home is as efficient as possible when it comes to air conditioning!
Leave Your Vents Alone
It is common to believe that closing vents in unused rooms will save money on cooling costs. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Your air conditioner has been designed to cool your entire home, and closing vents will throw off the system’s balance. This can lead to a number of problems with your unit, such as:
- Reduced airflow
- Higher energy bills
- Shorter lifespan of the AC unit
Closing air vents can have a number of negative consequences for comfort as well, including reducing the efficiency of your air conditioner and uneven cooling in your home. So next time you're tempted to close an air vent, remember these reasons why it's not a good idea!
How to Actually Save Money
If your air conditioner is running non-stop, your energy bills will skyrocket. There are a few things you can do to improve the efficiency of your air conditioner and save money.
- Make sure that your air conditioner is the right size for your home. If it's too small, it will have to work overtime to cool your home, and that will drive up your energy bills. If it's too big, it will cycle on and off too frequently, wasting energy and money.
- Keep your air conditioner well-maintained. Clean the air filter regularly and have it serviced by a professional every year. A well-maintained air conditioner will run more efficiently than one that isn't properly maintained.
- Close the curtains or blinds during the day to block out the sun's heat.
- Use fans to circulate air and create a cool breeze.
- Seal up any leaks or gaps around your doors and windows.
By taking these steps, you can keep your air conditioner from working overtime - and save money on your energy bills.
Keeping You Cool This Summer
If you’re looking for ways to save this summer, give our team at Guaranteed Service a call today at (732) 412-1134. We can help you find the best way to cool your home without breaking the bank.